Volunteer at Social Media Marketing World 2017
We are currently fully staffed but have started a waitlist for volunteers. To get on the waitlist, please read this entire page and complete the form at the bottom if to express your interest.
Social Media Marketing World is proudly produced by the team at Social Media Examiner. We typically need just a few volunteers, so if you are hoping to attend the event we strongly encourage you to take advantage of current discounted prices. You can always resell your ticket later or if we choose you as a volunteer we can refund your ticket. Go here to purchase your ticket.
If you are selected as a volunteer, there are a few basic commitments we require. If you are unable to meet these requirements, we suggest you purchase a ticket and enjoy the event as an attendee.
Before the Event
- Sign Volunteer Agreement.
- Attend one of the pre-event online Staff Webinars scheduled for March 7th at 10am PT or March 9th 12pm PT.
- Attend staff training and kick-off on Tuesday, March 21st at 1pm to 6pm (optional lunch at noon) at the San Diego Convention Center.
During the Event
You can expect to work up to15-20 hours (not including the training day) for your free ticket to the event. In many cases you will still be able to attend some (or even all) of the sessions you desire. We try to accommodate your preferences, but this is a volunteer position and we do expect you to work for your free ticket.
Provide feedback following the event through staff survey and/or email.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comfort with high public visibility. Outgoing personalities are a plus.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Events experience a plus.
- Personal awareness and emotional maturity.
- Availability: Tuesday, March 21 1pm until Friday, March 24 at 6pm. We do have opportunities for single day volunteers, but preference will be given to those able to attend the entire event.
Benefits to You
- Access to event sessions, once shift is complete or as duties allow.
- Access to conference breakfast and lunch on Thursday and Friday.
- Access to the evening Networking Parties, once shift is complete.
- Access to the event Recording Pass.
- Exposure to the top leaders in the social media marketing industry.
- Behind the scenes access to the Social Media Examiner team.
- Expand your network of friends and potential business or employment opportunities.
Volunteer Job Descriptions
Detailed job descriptions and training will be provided once volunteer role is defined.
Room Host/Workshop Host (Host Lead Requires Interview)
Job Description: Monitor sessions by assisting room lead, distributing handouts, managing room doors, checking badges, and taking room statistics. We will also be recruiting a Room Host Lead for each room that will require an interview.
Typical Room Host Hours: Thursday 9:15am – 5:00pm, Friday 9:45am – 4:30pm
Typical Workshop Host Hours: Wednesday 11:00am-5:45pm, Thursday 9:15am – 5:00pm, Friday 9:45am – 4:30pm
Job Description: Welcome attendees to Social Media Marketing World, check-in and hand out name badges, conference bag and other “goodies.”
Typical Hours: Wednesday 8am – 8pm, Thursday, 6:30am – 8:30am (includes breaks and meals)
Speaker & Sponsor Support/Runner
Job Description: Support speakers and sponsors with check-in and answer questions concerning the conference, events and their session/sponsorship/booth.
Typical Speaker Runner Hours: Wednesday 10am – 8pm, Thursday 8am – 4:30pm, Friday 8am – 4pm (Includes breaks to attend some sessions)
Typical Sponsor Runner Hours: Wednesday 12pm – 5pm, Thursday 8am – 4:30pm, Friday 8am – 4pm (Includes breaks to attend some sessions)
Networking Embassy Ambassador (Requires Interview)
Job Description: Manage the Embassy Booth serving as a member of the Networking Ambassador team. Help guests make connections, find resources and be the bridge between guests and our Networking Ambassadors. We are looking for both front facing Ambassadors and virtual Ambassadors.
Typical Hours: Wednesday 1 hour training (time TBD), Thursday 7am – 4:30pm (9.5 hours), Friday 7am – 4pm (9 hours) (Includes breaks to attend some sessions)
Evening Party Concierge
Job Description: Welcome and direct conference attendees into the party.
Typical Hours: Wednesday 4pm – 9pm (5 hours), Thursday 7:30pm – 10pm (2.5 hours) (Includes dinner and transportation to the evening party)
Job Description: Shifts may include: directing guests into and out of the General Session, line management, food monitoring, VIP services, guest support, manning the hotel welcome desk, etc… An Event Concierge may have several different assignments within the course of a day.
Typical Hours: Day/Time Varies in 2-4 hour shifts
Pre-Event On-Site Support
Job Description: Local volunteers, or those who arrive early, can help with conference bag assembly, name badge stuffing, signage support, cross checking lists, and supply organization.
Typical Hours: Tuesday 9am – 12pm (3 hours)