6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure

social media how toEver wonder why you can have 548 friends on Facebook, yet only 15-20 show up in your news feed? It’s not that those other friends have stopped using Facebook; chances are they’re still there. It’s just that they aren’t showing up in your news feed.

If you haven’t noticed, there are now two settings on your Facebook news feed: “Most Recent,” which shows most of the content published by your Facebook friends in chronological order and “Top News,” which filters content based on EdgeRank.

Friends and fan pages with a high EdgeRank are more likely to show in your “Top News” stream. Users with a low EdgeRank may not even show in your “Most Recent” news feed.

For businesses or others looking to market, promote or just interact through Facebook, the implications of this change are huge. “Top News” is the default setting, so unless a friend or fan changes their default, it’s quite possible that they will never see your updates. No matter how good the content, no matter how well you manage your Facebook page, EdgeRank might be holding you back.

EdgeRank Defined

Facebook looks at everything published as “objects.” These can be status updates, links, photos, video or anything else that can be shared on Facebook. Every object receives a ranking (EdgeRank), which determines if it will show in your personal newsfeed. Objects with a high EdgeRank appear in your “Top News” feed. Objects with a low EdgeRank will not. According to a study conducted last fall by The Daily Beast, objects with a really low EdgeRank may not even show in your “Most Recent” news feed.

An object’s EdgeRank is based on three factors: affinity or the relationship between the creator and user, interaction with the object (likes, comments, etc.) and timeliness. Add the three factors together using a formula that only Facebook truly knows and you’ve got an object’s EdgeRank.

Unlike Google’s PageRank, which stays the same from user to user, every object is scored based on the individual Facebook user who may (or may not) view the object in their news feed.

Let’s take a closer look at the three factors that determine EdgeRank.

Affinity

An object’s affinity score is based on the interactions you have with the friend or fan who published the object. Friends or fans with whom you regularly interact receive a higher affinity score. Each time you visit a fan page, click the “Like” button, comment on a user’s status or look at a picture, you increase the affinity score with that user.

As The Daily Beast study points out, this affinity score only works one way. I can’t increase my affinity score in another user’s feed by constantly clicking on their “Like” buttons or looking at their pictures. Although doing so will increase the likelihood that you’ll see their updates, your objects won’t do better in their news feed until they return the favor.

Level of Interaction

Different types of interactions are weighted differently on Facebook. Activities that require higher levels of user engagement get a higher score than those that don’t. For example, leaving a comment on a photo takes more effort on the user’s part than clicking the “Like” button. Objects that receive higher levels of interaction are more likely to show in a user’s newsfeed.

Timeliness

Most people don’t want to read yesterday’s news. Newer objects have a better chance of showing up in your news feed than older ones.

Armed with an understanding of these three elements, here are six tips on how you can increase the likelihood that your content or objects will appear in your friends’ or fans’ “Top News” feed.

#1: Publish Objects That Encourage Interaction

Unless they’re interesting enough to draw comments, simple status updates aren’t going to move you into Top News feeds. Publish content that naturally encourages click-throughs or creates discussion. Objects such as creative games that require a response (i.e., trivia or caption contests) open up opportunities to add highly weighted interaction and build affinity with new users.

top news feed

Top News is Facebook's default setting. Top News only shows objects with a higher EdgeRank.

#2: Create a Forum

Ever notice how political content on Facebook can generate a ton of comments? Although it doesn’t take long to realize that Facebook and politics don’t mix, people love to debate and discuss hot issues. Make your fan page a place for constructive discussion on the latest industry topics. Although this approach takes careful management, objects from a fan page filled with healthy discussion are more likely to receive a higher EdgeRank.

survey

Objects such as surveys require user interaction which can build EdgeRank.

#3: Make the Most of Photos and Videos

video

By their very nature, videos and pictures encourage interaction.

#4: Share Links

Links require interaction as users click on the link to view the object. While it’s good to share content from your own website, don’t be afraid to promote interesting content from other sources. Twitter users discovered long ago that the more content of value you share, the better chance you have of driving followers to your own content when the time comes. Again, a comment that encourages opening the link or leaving comments can go a long way.

comments

An object that receives comments is more likely to show in the Top News feed and also builds affinity with users who comment.

#5: Keep It Fresh

The Facebook stream moves quickly. If you’ve got objects that aren’t getting a response, don’t be afraid to let them go and move on to the next thing. If the object is good but didn’t get the response you desired, consider repurposing it or sending it out again at a different time of day.

#6: Ask Users to Share

Don’t be afraid to ask users to share objects or click on the Like button—especially if you’re new to Facebook. It can take a little while for a Facebook page to gain momentum. Anything you can do to help it along will only speed the process.

Although the introduction of EdgeRank may make it more difficult to share information on Facebook, ultimately it still comes down to content. Publishing content that users want to share and interact with has always been vital to any Facebook marketing campaign. With the recent Facebook changes, that content may now need a little extra push to get it the attention it deserves.

You’ll find more here on enhancing your Facebook page and Facebook marketing tips here.

How have the changes to Facebook affected your approach to Facebook marketing? Leave your comments and questions in the box below.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author, Jim Lodico

Jim Lodico is a copywriter and marketing consultant specializing in creating powerful content and teaching businesses how to use blogs. You can follow him on Twitter @jlcommunication. Other posts by »

More Info

206 Comments

1. Very useful EdgeRank and Exposure increasing Tips for FaceBook.

2. Very useful EdgeRank and Exposure increasing Tips for FaceBook.

3. Jim this will seem like a easy solution for most people, but many people just don’t get how to really make people take action.

“Black Seo Guy “Signing Off”

4. Jim this will seem like a easy solution for most people, but many people just don’t get how to really make people take action.

“Black Seo Guy “Signing Off”

5. […] about (and you should if you are trying to do anything on Facebook) Social Media Examiner has a great article about EdgeRank and things you can do to improve your chances of being […]

6. You say “Twitter users discovered long ago that the more content of value you share, the better chance you have of driving followers to your own content when the time comes.” Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks for the great article.

Brian Massey

7. You say “Twitter users discovered long ago that the more content of value you share, the better chance you have of driving followers to your own content when the time comes.” Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks for the great article.

Brian Massey

8. A good list of ways to increase interaction, thanks, I’ll share this one with clients. Running competitions is another great way to increase interaction – there’s nothing like giving away something for free to encourage people to type a sentence or click a button!

Although it makes no difference to the vast percentage of Facebook users, it’s worth mentioning that users can actually turn off this EdgeRank thing for their News Feed. When viewing your ‘home’ on Facebook, use the drop-down menu to the right of ‘Most Recent’ and select ‘Edit Options’ then select ‘All my friends and pages’. Of course you can’t go around getting each of your Facebook fans to do this though, so it doesn’t help much! Many users are passing around instructions on how to turn it off. Not very helpful of Facebook to have turned this on by default, really.

9. A good list of ways to increase interaction, thanks, I’ll share this one with clients. Running competitions is another great way to increase interaction – there’s nothing like giving away something for free to encourage people to type a sentence or click a button!

10. Thank You Jim! I’ve been looking for a great article about facebook edgerank and now i found it!

Have you found any data or statistics to support these?

11. Thank You Jim! I’ve been looking for a great article about facebook edgerank and now i found it!

Have you found any data or statistics to support these?

12. Love this post Jim–The ‘affinity’ ranking is news to me, and shows that engaging in meaningful convos with those of influence is all again important. Thanks so much for this content-filled post! KnDino

13. Love this post Jim–The ‘affinity’ ranking is news to me, and shows that engaging in meaningful convos with those of influence is all again important. Thanks so much for this content-filled post! KnDino

14. Jim says:

I have to admit Brian that I spoke from experience on that one. Sort of following the concept that you’ve got to get people to listen first. If they get in the habit of finding good information through your links, you have a better chance of getting them to click through to your information when the time comes.

15. Jim says:

16. Jim says:

I looked at Edgerankchecker when I wrote this article Chad and decided not to use it. It’s an interesting tool but I’m not sure how valid it is. It’s sort of hard to tell who’s behind it and if it’s any good. I will say it was the only tool I came across claiming to measure edgrank.

17. Jim says:

18. Jim says:

I think the Daily Beast article mentioned above is an interesting study. It’s got some real world testing.

19. Jim says:

20. Jim says:

That’s the thing that makes it so tough for FB marketers or others trying to gain exposure on FB. You can’t tell everyone to go in and change their default settings.

21. Jim says:

22. Hi Camilla,

I advise folks to not run contests and promotions as it is a violation of Facebook policy. Just search Facebook promotions on our site.

23. Hi Camilla,

24. Vijaya Halyal says:

Thank you for the information..

25. Vijaya Halyal says:

Thank you for the information..

26. I was looking for this information just the other day

27. I was looking for this information just the other day

28. Mike Payne says:

@Michael – my understanding it’s *only* a violation of FB TOS if it’s done on the wall, not a separate tabbed landing page (iframe welcome page for instance). I actually received verification from Facebook’s team – I hope they didn’t mislead me or I misunderstood them. I run marketing for many business owners and certainly do NOT want to advise incorrectly.

29. Mike Payne says:

30. Thanks for demystifying this hidden truth (at least in my opinion). This greatly helps in figuring out areas that need to be focused on when trying to leverage a facebook page for exposure. Gracias!

31. Thanks for demystifying this hidden truth (at least in my opinion). This greatly helps in figuring out areas that need to be focused on when trying to leverage a facebook page for exposure. Gracias!

32. I work with a lot of companies and business owners from a commercial real estate perspective and recently started posting some of my clients job opportunites. My facebook page views have dramatically increased as my posts are informational and helpful.

33. Nicely done Jim. It all makes sense when you have the complete picture.

34. Nicely done Jim. It all makes sense when you have the complete picture.

35. Brad Smith says:

Thanks for shedding some light on the EdgeRank factors! It’s definitely interesting to see Facebook’s strategy of tailoring specific information to it’s users to increase relevance vs. search.

As stated earlier in the comments, promotions are great for increasing interaction – thus EdgeRank. If you’re worried about Facebook’s promotional guidelines, there are some great options out there (we use Wildfire a lot) that simplify the process and abide by all the rules.

36. Brad Smith says:

37. Yes, frustrating indeed.

38. Yes, frustrating indeed.

39. I know what you mean (I wrote an article on it too, it’s a hot topic I guess!), but there are some options. You can pursue a rep at Facebook to grant you permission. Or if that’s not possible (and it’s likely to be not possible for most businesses) then you can promote a competition as long it’s conducted off-site or in a third-party application in a tab. They also make allowances for promoting competitions like this which require people to ‘Like’ your Page first. This is my understanding of the rules. It’s not ideal but that would still encourage increased interaction.

So we do like to get clients running competitions but we are careful we stick to the guidelines, definitely!

40. I know what you mean (I wrote an article on it too, it’s a hot topic I guess!), but there are some options. You can pursue a rep at Facebook to grant you permission. Or if that’s not possible (and it’s likely to be not possible for most businesses) then you can promote a competition as long it’s conducted off-site or in a third-party application in a tab. They also make allowances for promoting competitions like this which require people to ‘Like’ your Page first. This is my understanding of the rules. It’s not ideal but that would still encourage increased interaction.

41. Hi – really appreciated reading this. It’s frustrating that FB really does have so much “control” over our own marketing strategies and even more frustrating that we “give” this control to them by using Facebook! A catch-22 situation…
    As far as altering our own settings go, I’m now in the habit of reading “recent” as well as whatever the alternative is… but I know there’s no way I can expect/ask my followers to do the same.
    I also thought it was okay to run promos/comps on FB provided you abided by their rules and did it their way (again, endorsing the power it has!)… ?
    Smiles
    julie from halobiz.co.nz

42. Hi – really appreciated reading this. It’s frustrating that FB really does have so much “control” over our own marketing strategies and even more frustrating that we “give” this control to them by using Facebook! A catch-22 situation…
    Smiles
    julie from halobiz.co.nz

43. Jim, I work with real estate agents and their online efforts and they are constantly asking about pages. Your article supports my point of view that it is extremely difficult for a one person operation (this covers the vast majority of agents, IMO) to properly leverage a page into views in the newsfeed. They’re better off focusing on the relationship and network building in their Facebook profile… What do you think?

44. Jim, I work with real estate agents and their online efforts and they are constantly asking about pages. Your article supports my point of view that it is extremely difficult for a one person operation (this covers the vast majority of agents, IMO) to properly leverage a page into views in the newsfeed. They’re better off focusing on the relationship and network building in their Facebook profile… What do you think?

45. Just found your web site via a tweet from @socialnetdaily. Wow! Thanks so much Jim. Reading you make it easy for me to explain it to clients. Strange that one of my client ask that very question yesterday, what is the difference between “Most Recent” and “Top News”. Had to say that I have to make research to be able to aswer properly. Your explaination are easy to understand. Nice job Jim!

46. Just found your web site via a tweet from @socialnetdaily. Wow! Thanks so much Jim. Reading you make it easy for me to explain it to clients. Strange that one of my client ask that very question yesterday, what is the difference between “Most Recent” and “Top News”. Had to say that I have to make research to be able to aswer properly. Your explaination are easy to understand. Nice job Jim!

47. Thanks jim. Did not know any of this. Just more to contemplate in the social realm

48. Thanks jim. Did not know any of this. Just more to contemplate in the social realm

49. This is a really good article and gives great advice on how to stay on top of the ever changing Facebook settings and defaults and how to work with them to our advantage.

50. This is a really good article and gives great advice on how to stay on top of the ever changing Facebook settings and defaults and how to work with them to our advantage.

51. Michael_N says:

Jim, This is well put together and I will definitely send this link out to my Fans. I’ve been teaching my clients about EdgeRank for my Facebook for Business workshops ever since I first heard about it because it’s so important. Interestingly, LinkedIn and Twitter haven’t gone this route.

One point I’d like to add that I’ve heard from several people, including Mari Smith, is that Facebook prefers that you manually post to your Page. Using automated feeds can lower your EdgeRank.

Similarly, they would prefer that you manually upload a video to Facebook vs link from YouTube. In fact, I’ve heard they’ll add a Like button to a manually uploaded video that would make it possible to increase your Fan base as your video is shared through users’ networks. I’ve yet to try it to see for myself. Any comments to share on these thoughts? Thanks so much.

52. Michael_N says:

53. […] tips to increase your Facebook EdgeRank – aka the thing that will get you better position in your fans’ news […]

54. Great post. Very thorough. You made some great points. I got a few that I should start implementing now.

55. Great post. Very thorough. You made some great points. I got a few that I should start implementing now.

56. Well, that’s interesting

57. Well, that’s interesting

58. George Tee says:

Great post Jim, now I know why some of my friends post don’t appear on my feeds. Edgerank would definitely affect the post. Sharing of links would definitely increase the Edgerank as well as liking a page.

59. George Tee says:

60. Jim says:

I’ve also done a lot of work with real estate agents and I know what you mean. Most I’ve run into are being told they need to be active in social media but have no idea how to go about it.

I agree that managing it all can be difficult for a one person operation such as a real estate agent. I personally advise Realtors to start by incorporating a blog into their website. A blog can create a reason to visit their site and move them up the search engine rankings. From there, I suggest moving out one step at a time. Once they get the blog under control, move on to Facebook. Facebook then becomes an extension of the blog and a method to drive traffic to the website where the sales process takes place.

That said, Facebook does provide an excellent way for Realtors to network and just stay in touch with their community. I once wrote that Realtors need to be “neighborhood celebrities.” Facebook is another way to extend that concept.

61. Jim says:

62. Jim says:

I haven’t tested it either but I’ve heard that also. Probably from the same presentation by Mari Smith. It would make sense that FB wants you to post directly to their site as opposed to a Google site.

The ability to share throughout the FB network is a big plus just in and of itself though.

63. Jim says:

64. Jim says:

I agree that from a marketing perspective the “top news” vs. “most recent” can be frustrating but from a user perspective it makes sense. The more friends you have, the noisier FB gets. It’s one of the reasons I’ve found myself using Twitter less and less on a personal level. The stream just gets too noisy and if I’m not careful, it can be a time suck.

By filtering content to the personal user, FB is attempting to keep content relevant. There are times I like the filter as it lets me check in quick to see what those I’m most interested in talking to are doing. Other times, I like to open up the stream and see what’s out there. From an end user perspective, it makes sense.

65. Jim says:

66. Good stuff Jim. Going to share it in a few places.

67. Good stuff Jim. Going to share it in a few places.

68. Excellent explanation of the Facebook EdgeRank, I was always a little curious how it worked. I am happy to see that out of the excellent tips you posted for boosting your EdgeRank are things that we have been incorporating into my business Facebook Page for a while now.

69. Excellent explanation of the Facebook EdgeRank, I was always a little curious how it worked. I am happy to see that out of the excellent tips you posted for boosting your EdgeRank are things that we have been incorporating into my business Facebook Page for a while now.

70. Samsmall says:

Thanks for info but why is it you say that Facebook and Politics don’t go well together? I post many carefully selected political action requests such as petition signing opportunities from various action groups and i get good feedback from my friends, they like the posts and sign the petitions.
    Thanks

71. Jim says:

Point taken. I’m thinking more of my friends who like to “debate” politics on FB. Sort of like what they say about discussing politics and religion at a party.

I agree that FB can be a very powerful tool for political action.

72. Brosix says:

Making sure you get into the top news is big!

73. Claire Warne says:

I think this indirectly provides some evidence for this: http://mashable.com/2011/04/25/sharing-consumption-personal-brand

Also, thank you Jim for an extremely interesting and useful article!

74. Tanya says:

does that mean using Hootsuite is less favorable than logging into FB and posting a status update there?

75. […] Smith posted a very appealing article on her Twitter feed earlier today called 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure. Now, obviously this article was talking strictly Facebook, but you can apply these tips and ideas […]

76. pixalweb says:

After reading the post I found that there are many settings which we don’t know yet. This post is really took me out from the black night.

77. Michael_N says:

Tanya, That’s my understanding. In last year’s Facebook Success Summit, there was a speaker from Intel that said she got more engagement quicker when she did manual posts and warned to be careful about using automated posting.

78. iBAMBINO says:

How about tagging other businesses in my own business page?
    With this new FB, all my shout outs/tag don’t appear on their page anymore.
    Why is that? Can anyone help me?
    Thanks in advance.

79. Kavya Hari says:

Initially, i would like to say thanks for given 6 tips to increase your face book edge page rank and its support. Really, it’s one of the worthy article in it, Jim :) Keep doing :)

80. Thanks @claire, the link you shared is very good. Did you read it before sharing it? ;-) (joke) (the article is about sharing without reading the content)

81. There is a good post on the SEOmoz blog about Facebook correlation in the Google ranking algorithm. They found that a FB share signals more influence in the post Panda update at Google.

So looking at the FB API you can grab an XML response to particular URL to see the number of likes and shares it has. But I would also like to see who shared it to get an affinity correlation.

Perhaps a URL shortener like ow.ly might be good since it has some layering capability with Google Analytics.

Would be great to create a process for blog post publishing, promoting, sharing that isn’t of the “blast it everywhere with no accountability” practice. I actually prefer to engage with those who read and leave comments but that’s becoming impossible considering the fact that good writers should write and not worry about the technical stuff like API’s and Page or Edgerank because it takes a lot of time to keep track of.

82. Kerrie Redgate says:

Thank you for wonderfully useful information, once again! .. Do you think FB have made this change so as to encourage Pages to advertise so they can be more prominent?

83. @Michael- it is possible to run a contest or promotion legally on Facebook, their TOS actually outline their preferred methods, such as using a custom tab or 3rd party app, providing a specific statement that FB doesn’t endorse (etc) the contest, and the stipulation that you cannot require a user to Like your page to enter, and you can’t use FB to notify a winner. You can however create a custom welcome table with a fan gate and require users to like your page in order to access an entry form to enter an email, which is what we did for a Kindle giveaway earlier this year, and it worked quite well.

84. Jim says:

No. I think it was done from a user perspective. I think FB is trying to keep the new stream manageable. In doing so, they are trying to predict who whom you want to connect.

85. Jim says:

86. […] with an understanding of these three elements, here are four tips (taken from Jim Lodico’s informative post on Facebook EdgeRank) on how you can increase the likelihood that your content or objects will […]

87. […] “check out our ______.” Spice it up with questions, contests and more engaging content. (Your Edge Rank will thank […]

88. Markcharbonneaux says:

Nice work.

89. Markcharbonneaux says:

Nice work.

90. Quite interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

91. Quite interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

92. […] for the full read. I’ve been seeing EdgeRank pop up here and there in different articles, such as this one at the Social Media Examiner (another great website to follow) and decided to dig into […]

93. These are nice tips and the factors influencing Edgerank are interesting. Wonder if there is some critical frequency above which the flags for inclusion in news stream is triggered or just one response does it.

94. […] 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook Edgerank and Your Exposure […]

95. […] uses a proprietary, secret EdgeRank algorithm to determine which posts show up as “Top News” in each person’s news […]

96. Informative post. This is the way social media is suppose to be it is about be in a relationship, engaging the reader and make some killer content.

97. Great article about facebook edgerank..
    Thank you for wonderfully useful information, once again! .

98. Kat says:

Hi,

Does it also matter if you use a third party app to auto post your blog posts on your Facebook Page? This article here argues that you shouldn’t use third party apps: http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b3eebe5f73f592b026c736e25&id=2b45f1edc9&e=7202562475I can’t say I agree, but value your opinion. This is being slightly debated in our WordPress group.Thanks!

99. […] 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook Edgerank and Your Exposure […]

100. […] a lower EdgeRank score when using third-party applications to post to Facebook (more on EdgeRank here and […]

101. […] Get more information from some great posts on Facebook’s EdgeRank at TheNextWeb and Social Media Examiner. This entry was posted in Facebook Analytics, Social CRM, Social Media Marketing, Social Media […]

102. […] SocialMedia Explorer and the DailyBeast published information on Edgerank, and how it’s important if you want the likes and shares of your fans to be seen by their friends, increasing your exposure. I’ve written before about how social signals are part of the algorithm and are likely to become a bigger part in the near future. So, back to the question at hand … What Are You Doing to Get Facebook Likes? […]

103. […] algorithm to determine which posts show up as “Top News” in each person’s news feed.  The EdgeRank of a post is different for each user and is based on Affinity, Weight and […]

104. […] are trying to impress. Responding, however, will enhance your image with the rest of your fans, and improve your Facebook ‘edge rank’ with the original commenter for the […]

105. […] In fact it is important to understand that with Facebook’s programming, the more you post and the less the consumer interacts with that post, the less likely they will see your messages in their news feed. (Great info on that here). […]

106. […] Facebook questions provides you a built in function on Facebook that can provide another means to interact and engage  your readers. The side benefit is that this will improve your Facebook ‘Edge ranking‘. […]

107. […] For some great ideas on how to increase your brands EdgeRank and exposure, read this article by the Social Media Examiner called “6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure”. […]

108. I really enjoyed reading this article about facebook edgerank! Thanks :)

109. […] EdgeRank system, ignored posts have an interesting hidden effect. If people are not engaging with you (e.g. by clicking on a link, watching a video, making a comment, etc.), you will drop off most […]

110. captain_planet says:

Hi, interesting stuff. I’m wondering if there is any ‘general edgerank’ what I mean by this is edgerank which isn’t only built up from personal interactions, it is obvious that you can see that if person A likes and interacts with person B content then person B content will show up in person A’s feeds but what happens if person B has two posts, one has not been liked by anyone and the other has been liked by person C,D,E,F etc (so it is clearly popular) but person A does not know these people. Will this post do better even though non of Person A’s friends have liked it?

111. […] Rounding out our 3-part segment on business Facebook page updates, this post focuses on how using certain third-party software platforms to generate your page updates might alter how your posts are displayed on your page – and even affect your EdgeRank. […]

112. […] Social Media Examiner article:  6 tips to increase your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure […]

113. […] you post is looked at as an “object” and then receives a ranking – this score is calculated for each user unlike a score or ranking that is given across the board for all […]

114. […] on top of the news feed will remain mostly a mystery. But as more studies andwhitepapers are released,  it becomes easier to learn how to dominate the news feed and implement steps to assure our […]

115. […] “Unless they’re interesting enough to draw comments, simple status updates aren’t going to move you into Top News feeds. Publish content that naturally encourages click-throughs or creates discussion.” Jim Lodico, Social Media Examiner […]

116. thank you for brining up edgerank. Most people are not aware the interaction gets your more visibility credits with Facebook.

117. […] “Unless they’re interesting enough to draw comments, simple status updates aren’t going to move you into Top News feeds. Publish content that naturally encourages click-throughs or creates discussion.” Jim Lodico, Social Media Examiner […]

118. […] these days, but for those that aren’t 100% sure what it is, here is how Social Media Examiner defines […]

119. […] Having a smartphone gives me a potent piece of equipment for making content on the fly, particularly since photos are one of the best ways to increase EdgeRank and interaction on Facebook. […]

120. […] “Unless they’re interesting enough to draw comments, simple status updates aren’t going to move you into Top News feeds. Publish content that naturally encourages click-throughs or creates discussion.” Jim Lodico, Social Media Examiner […]

121. […] with an understanding of these three elements, here are four tips (taken from Jim Lodico’s informative post on Facebook EdgeRank) on how you can increase the likelihood that your content or objects will […]

122. I believe EdgeRank is the most marketing-unfriendly feature on any social media. Because of it I’ve stopped advising my clients to automatically build a fan page (I have a film marketing agency http://alphapanda.com). Building and feeding a fan page is so time consuming that a return of less than 20% of fans seeing the updates isn’t worth it. I’ve heard it will be abolished soon though, good news.

123. […] Wall updates don’t always reach your fans’ walls. Facebook introduced this nifty algorithm called ‘EdgeRank’ which, without going into details, makes a decision based on how relevant your post is to your fans.  Posts with a high EdgeRank will show up in your fans’ top stories, those with a low EdgeRank will not.  If you’d like to read more about how this works, here are 6 Tips to increase your EdgeRank […]

124. saltygrim says:

Great article. Useful tips, thanks. I have been pondering how 3rd party apps sitting on a specific tab effect EdgeRank? If you are running a promotion using a 3rd party app, will this be considered an ‘object’ for Facebook to generate an edge with?

Any thoughts or advice on this gratefulyl received, thanks.

125. Thanks Jim – this was very useful. I have a question – What is the advantage of having a large # of fans ? I have seen sites that do encourage silent tagging and I am wondering how that helps me. It seems like there are random likes from folks who may not be interested in Scentsy (I am an Independent Scentsy consultant – http://www.delightyourscents.com) and I have some likes that I probably won’t interact with. Is there any benefit in this ? On the other hand – I did increase fans by doing a giveaway and I am atleast assuming they like my products so they entered the contest to win something. They may hang around and interact longer. Thoughts ?

126. […] Share more photos, videos and links with photos/videos. Facebook users are more likely to interact with photos and videos than text updates (see points No. 3 and 4 via the link). And as part of Facebook’s changes, photos and videos now […]

127. […] Photos and videos show up in the Facebook news feed as thumbnail images. Due to their size, they almost require interaction as users click on them to make them large enough to see. Be sure to add a comment that encourages users to open the photo and add comments of their own. – 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure […]

128. […] to Jim Lodico, a contributer at SocialMediaExaminer.com, there are three aspects of the Edgerank algorithm that affect the chance of a post getting seen. […]

129. […] Useful Link:  6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure  […]

130. Most of what is being said seems to make sense .. until you go try to DO IT.. then its like.. wtf?

131. Maybe its just me. but this whole new thing of theirs seems to be a copy of twitter plain and simple

132. Mark Lipka says:

I have always wondered how facebook determined what posts are “important” or not. Now I know. This is a great resourse. I’ll be looking into this further in the near future.

133. […] recently underwent a few big changes, predominently to their news feeds. So now the problem is Edgerank and Facebook marketing for companies. If their fans don’t see their news and updates then […]

134. […] uses a proprietary, secret EdgeRank algorithm to determine which posts show up as “Top Stories” in each person’s news […]

135. Trey Langford says:

Facebook and Edgerank are completely relevant for a business if you have really great content. Good enough won’t cut it anymore.

136. […] recently underwent a few big changes, predominently to their news feeds. So now the problem is Edgerank and Facebook marketing for companies. If their fans don’t see their news and updates then […]

137. Justuno.com says:

If you’re a retailer looking for additional benefits to Facebook “Likes”, we are launching a product called Justuno.  Its a tool that allows you to leverage your promotions in exchange for Facebook “Likes” or Twitter “Followers”.  Beyond increasing your social media presence, every time a consumer comes back to your shop, they will automatically be offered your latest promotion.  Its a pretty great tool.  We are just launching, so if anyone has any feedback or commentary, I’d love to hear it.  Thanks, ~Becky Remmel (becky@justuno.com)

138. […] exist and increase the likelihood that they would check out your content.   It also increases your EdgeRank, which if you click on link, you can learn other ways you can increase […]

139. […] on top of the news feed will remain mostly a mystery. But as more studies and whitepapers are released,  it becomes easier to learn how to dominate the news feed and implement steps to assure our […]

140. […] it to Facebook: Videos are one of the quickest ways to improve your EdgeRank on Facebook. In simple terms, that means videos offer the quickest route to expanding your […]

141. […] a fraction of all Facebook posts show up on your customer’s wall. True. It’s all about EdgeRank,but I […]

142. […] example, you can tell the author behind this Social Media Examiner article started with the data first, writing a very insightful article from his […]

143. […] example, you can tell the author behind this Social Media Examiner article started with the data first, writing a very insightful article from his […]

144. […] example, you can tell the author behind this Social Media Examiner article started with the data first, writing a very insightful article from his […]

145. […] example, you can tell the author behind this Social Media Examiner article started with the data first, writing a very insightful article from his […]

146. […] example, you can tell the author behind this Social Media Examiner article started with the data first, writing a very insightful article from his […]

147. […] “Unless they’re interesting enough to draw comments, simple status updates aren’t going to move you into Top News feeds. Publish content that naturally encourages click-throughs or creates discussion.” Jim Lodico, Social Media Examiner […]

148. […] the most popular topic for eBooks this year – you can find interesting pieces from Econsultancy, Social Media Examiner, Mashable and TechCrunch for a start. But as this is an “in a nutshell” guide, here’s a few […]

149. […] they will automatically see all of your content. The Social Media Examiner has a great blog post on EdgeRank and how to improve […]

150. […] Post it to Facebook. Whether on your profile page or on your business page, you can reach a much wider audience on Facebook. Plus, video is a great way of increasing your EdgeRank. […]

151. […] has an algorithm known as EdgeRank, which decides if a post should go into your fans’ newsfeeds. If EdgeRank decides that your post […]

152. […] 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure […]

153. […] has an algorithm known as EdgeRank, which decides if a post should go into your fans’ newsfeeds. If EdgeRank decides that your post […]

154. […] with your fans. If you are not engaging, you will lose them. Facebook has its own ranking system (Edge Rank) and if you are not regularly engaging fans, your posts are less likely to appear in their home feed […]

155. […] Check out more tips to increase your EdgeRank at Social Media Examiner. […]

156. […] 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank […]

157. […] through the Online channel will also be considered for inclusion in the news feed. Facebook’s EdgeRank algorithm will take into account numerous factors to determine the suitability of a given story for […]

158. […] got the requisite 30 “likes,” meaning I achieved my “EdgeRank” minimum (see the definition here), and I have access to “insights about my activity,” well, I thought it sounded rather […]

159. […] are definitely a few things you should know about.  Take the time to understand the basics of SEO, Edgerank (for Facebook, if your using it), and what different social media sites tend to work best for the […]

160. Erik says:

Great article! Coverage is important in social media and everyone sees what you do online. Social Scoring is much like the same, sites like klout are putting their 2 cents in when it comes to how valuable your social networking behavior is. socialscorebureau.com is a site that does scoring as well, you can find out how valuable your facebook posts and twitter tweets are there. I would highly recommend it for anyone that is looking to see the value in their social experience.

161. […] Facebook questions provides you a built in function on Facebook that can provide another means to interact and engage  your readers. The side benefit is that this will improve your Facebook ‘Edge ranking‘. […]

162. […] Now this: Facebook has enabled you to pay for an individual post to be seen in more of your fans’ news feeds. You h… […]

163. plasico says:

I’ve read the other post 12 Tips when using Facebook promoted post also and now the things in my head became more clear about FB marketing :)

164. […] on top of the news feed will remain mostly a mystery. But as more studies and whitepapers are released,  it becomes easier to learn how to dominate the news feed and implement steps to assure our […]

165. […] people cheered this feature because Facebook’s EdgeRank algorithm and other quirks make using third-party tools like HootSuite or SocialOomph for […]

166. […] 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure, Social Media Examiner The 6 are: publish objects that encourage interaction, create a forum, make the most of photos and videos, share links, keep it fresh, ask users to share. […]

167. Great advice which I’m certainly gonna follow and recommend to the company I work for. Also got alot of nice tips in the comments section. Wish my articles would get some comments. People are reading it, but it has yet to get a comment.

168. Brendaalford says:

This was very interesting and helpful. Thank you for sharing!

169. […] people cheered this feature because Facebook’s EdgeRank algorithm and other quirks make using third-party tools like HootSuite or SocialOomph for […]

170. […] 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure – Social Media Examiner […]

171. […] 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure […]

172. […] Post it to Facebook. Whether on your profile page or on your business page, you can reach a much wider audience on Facebook. Plus, video is a great way of increasing your EdgeRank. […]

173. […] I have a lot of work to do. To help me, I downloaded the free EdgeRank Checker App and read the 6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank and Exposure. It’s amazing how much research one must do just to stay on top of things! Edgeranking is a […]

174. Daisy Bono says:

Thank you so much for this great advice. I’ll surely take note of this. Keep it up!

175. Venkatdial says:

It was a great run,
    and I hope the readers who discovered us found our content useful.

176. […] greater exposure to their friends and friends of friends.Adding this human element can also boost EdgeRank if your posts get more posts and comments than usual.Last week, one of my employees put a funny […]

177. […] greater exposure to their friends and friends of friends. Adding this human element can also boost EdgeRank if your posts get more posts and comments than usual. Last week, one of my employees put a funny […]

178. […] most popular topic for eBooks this year – you can find interesting pieces from Econsultancy, Social Media Examiner, Mashable and TechCrunch for a start. But as this is an “in a nutshell” guide, […]

179. […] on Facebook.I also loved the fact that even though lately many people have been worrying  about EdgeRank‘s constant evolution, reach being lowered or what is the best “tactic” to get […]

180. […] of Facebook EdgeRank SEO, read these articles (but be forewarned, they get a bit geeky): Lodico, Jim.  “6 Tips to Increase Your Facebook EdgeRank.” Social Media Examiner, April… Litwinka, Lauren.  “Facebook SEO, Ranking Factors, & Visibility Hacks.”  Aimclear […]

181. […] to evaluate posts based on affinity, timeliness, and level of interaction. This system is called EdgeRank, and if your Page posts don’t rank highly enough, users may not see […]

182. […] benefit a brand that much to hit the 1,000 fan mark? Mr. T tried to tell me it would help with Edge Rank on Facebook, but I can’t find any evidence and don’t have any experience to support that. In my […]

183. […] – Graph Search. Increase your Facebook EdgeRank by sharing timely and engaging content across a number of content mediums, including; Posts, Links, […]

184. […] EdgeRank is the algorithm Facebook uses to determine the importance of a status update. The more comments a status update receives, the higher its EdgeRank. The higher the EdgeRank, the higher that update is placed in news feeds. In addition, Facebook will display that update to more people. This means getting comments should be your goal with your status updates. […]

185. […] and spreading news virally. However it can be limiting in how you can communicate with your fans. (More about EdgeRank and how Facebook filters information to its users. Note that Facebook is ever-changing, so the info in this article could be out of date […]

186. […] has a news feed algorithm (often referred to as EdgeRank) that hides a significant portion of your updates from your fans, […]

187. Very important for every facebook business owner to understand this

188. […] Read the full post here – Six Tips To Increase Facebook Exposure  […]

189. MJ Perkins says:

So I manage a page that has 31,000 fans. If I click LIKE on each on the comments they leave will that increase my edge rank to show up in their news feed?

190. […] announced that they’ve tweaked their algorithm known as EdgeRank to allow stories that are getting more engagement (more likes, comments and shares) to be bumped up […]

191. Users are always attracted to unique and fresh content so i think it doesnt matter whether you use tool to check how much visitors are reading your post, how much your content goes viral. Just post the unique and users oriented content so that content will automatically goes viral and you will get more followers.

192. Thanks for the tips on improving my Edgerank and Exposure. Am effecting them on my Facebook page.

193. Guest says:

the very useful tips for the current marketing trends in the social media.

jack
    bizbilla b2b portal

194. Jack Marco says:

The very useful tips for the current marketing
    trends in the social media.

jack

bizbilla b2b portal

195. […] to Jim Lodico, a contributer at SocialMediaExaminer.com, there are three aspects of the Edgerank algorithm that affect the chance of a post getting seen. […]