Pinterest recently made several changes to their site.
They modified some features, added new ones and even got rid of a few.
In this article I’ll share what you need to know about these changes and the impact on your marketing strategies to make sure you continue to generate sales and leads through Pinterest.
How to Switch to the New Look
To get the new look, scroll over your business/profile name on the top right corner of your account. A drop-down menu will appear. On this menu, click on the last option, Switch to the New Look.
A pop-up will open up asking you if you are “Ready to switch for good?” If you are, click on the red Get It Now button.
Another pop-up message will appear on your screen welcoming you to the new look. Click on the red Okay button and the new look will be set up.
What Has Changed: Modifications, New Additions and Removals
Now that you know how to set up the new look, here are the important changes that make it easy for you to use the newly set up site.
1. Larger pins: Pins used to have a width of 600 pixels when enlarged. They are 735 pixels wide now.
2. The Categories section: One of the most obvious changes you will notice is that the Categories section has been moved.
In the earlier version, the Categories section, along with Everything, Popular, Gifts, etc., was located in the center right, below where it says “Pinterest”.
Now it’s on the top left, right next to the search field. Under this menu, you will find the Home Feed, Popular Section, Everything, Gifts and all the other categories. You will also notice that there’s a new Videos section.
3. Comments button removed: In the earlier version, when you hovered over a pin, the Comments button appeared. You could then click on this button and leave comments. This button has been discarded. Now, to leave comments click on the pin and enlarge it, and you’ll see a comments box appear where you can enter your comment.
Get Expert Social Media Marketing Training from the Pros
Want to get ahead of the competition or learn how to diversify your strategy?
Learn from dozens of the industry's most trusted experts, rub elbows with other smart marketers, and take your marketing to the next level during this 3-day event in sunny San Diego, CA.CLICK TO LEARN MORE
You will also note the Repin button has been replaced by the Pin It button. This button does the same job as the Repin button—you can click on it and repin the pin.
4. More options when you expand pins: On the right side of the expanded pins you’ll see more pins from the same board. You’ll also see pins from the same website.
Become the Social Media Marketing Rockstar for Your Business
Meet your secret team that makes you look like a social media genius and empowers you to embrace change! We’re a genuine community of marketers from your friends at Social Media Examiner. And we’re here to support you. Think of us as your career insurance policy. We keep you focused on what matters. We make sure you won’t be left behind as the changes keep coming. Join the Social Media Marketing Society. Get access to monthly online training, expert support, and a thriving community of marketers who will empower you to succeed.JOIN NOW - CLOSES SOON
You will also find a Share button on the top, which makes it easy to share the pin on other social networks. To the right side of the pin you will find other pins from the same board and website.
Below the pin you’ll find a collection of pins made by the same people who pinned the expanded image called “People who pinned this also pinned” section.
Another change to note is that the number of repins and likes has been moved to the top. And the link to the pin can be found under Website. There’s also a Share button that makes it easy for you to share pins on other networks and by email.
5. Settings method changed: Earlier, all of the settings changes could be made under one settings page. But now the settings have been divided into Profile Settings and Account Settings.
Profile Settings can be changed by clicking on the pencil icon on your profile page. Here you can edit your name, username, about section (you might need to change this as the character limit has been reduced to 160 characters), location and website.
To edit Account Settings, hover your cursor over your profile/business name on the top right corner and click on Settings, which appears on the drop-down menu. Here you can edit email address, password, language, business type, contact name, search privacy, notifications and social networks. You might want to take a close look at notifications as they have made it easy for you to manage the notifications you receive.
6. Analytics: This is probably the best feature introduced in the new Pinterest, especially for businesses, marketers and bloggers. It provides an opportunity to see if your efforts are converting into results.
You can only view your analytics if you’ve verified your website. If you haven’t done it, you should do it now. You can learn how to verify your website by reading this post by Kristi Hines.
After you verify your website, scroll over your profile name on the top right corner and click on Analytics, which appears on the drop-down menu. Here you can see:
1. The number of everyday pins and pinners from your website
2. The number of everyday repins and repinners
3. The total number of times your pins have appeared on the site and the number of times they were seen
4. The number of clicks and website visitors
5. The most recent pins from your site
6. The most repinned and the most-clicked pins
7. You can also download all of this data
For a detailed post on what each term is and how to use them to promote your business, check out this post.
These are the main changes that have been made to Pinterest. When you’re ready, switch to the new look and make the most of them.
What do you think about the above changes? What changes are you happy and unhappy with? Did I forget to list any of them? Please leave your comments below.
Experience The World's Largest Social Media Conference
Quality marketing training, actionable takeaways, and beneficial connections—that's just a fraction of what you can expect at Social Media Marketing World! Join thousands of smart marketers in sunny San Diego this spring and level up your marketing.
🔥 Sale ends Wednesday! 🔥GET TICKETS NOW