Would you like more leads?
In this article I’ll reveal how to use SlideShare to generate quality leads.
SlideShare for Leads?
SlideShare is the world’s largest content-sharing community for professionals.
Data collected by ComScore and presented in an infographic by Column Five Media, SlideShare: The Quiet Giant of Content Marketing, reveals SlideShare has 5 times more traffic from business owners than Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn (which now owns SlideShare).
SlideShare traffic is driven largely by search and social networks. Visitors are mostly conducting research at work, so if you’re using the website and its services as a strategic marketing tool, you can make it a substantial weapon in your lead generation arsenal.
How Businesses Can Use SlideShare
The following 3 points will help you generate leads with SlideShare.
#1: Make a Compelling Presentation
SlideShare accepts videos and various types of documents; however, slideshows tend to perform best and earn more views. To increase the effectiveness of your presentation:
- Compose with SlideShare in mind. Slide decks created for live presentations may fail on SlideShare. Your slides should “speak for themselves.” Revisit and revise slides that are likely to require explanations.
- Design with care. Highly viewed presentations tend to feature attractive graphics. Your presentation should include powerful images and quality fonts that are easy to read on small screens and maintain a high degree of professionalism on every slide.
- Keep it simple. Presentations may be viewed quickly and in small spaces, so it’s wise to create a deck with a laser-focused message and present your ideas in small bites using as few words as possible.
- Tell a story. Employ classic storytelling practices with a logical sequence and an obvious beginning, middle and end. Break longer works into chapters.
- Employ content marketing best practices. Your presentation will be valued most when its content reflects that you understand your market’s challenges and deliver helpful advice for overcoming them. It won’t hurt to be entertaining too.
- Take risks. Presentations stand out from the crowd when they are provocative, funny or bold. Don’t shy away from edgy ideas with the rationale that you’re trying to conduct serious business. A playful sense of humor helped make “The eBook is the Stud in Your Content Marketing Stable” an extremely popular presentation.
- Understand the capabilities of SlideShare. Your uploaded content will be converted for presentation. Animations will not convert. The best way to ensure the integrity of your work is to save it as a PDF for uploads to SlideShare.
- Invest in talent and quality. If you lack writing or design talent, outsource the work. Plan to spend the time or money it takes to secure the rights to strong photography and illustration.
You’ll find rich libraries of free design templates built into PowerPoint and Keynote. For even more templates, search for “free PowerPoint (or Keynote) templates” to locate sites such as fppt and DezineGuide.
#2: Capitalize on SlideShare Features
On the site’s SlideShare 101 page, the company points out:
- SlideShare features a professional and educational community that regularly comments, favorites and downloads content.
- Content spreads virally through blogs and social networks such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
- Individuals and organizations use SlideShare documents to share ideas, conduct research, connect with others and generate leads for their businesses.
Consider using features such as:
Lead the Social Charge Instead of Playing Catch Up
Sick of wondering “What now?” everytime a social platform changes or the market shifts?
Get a look at where the social media marketing industry is headed—before it happens—with insightful trends analysis delivered weekly.
Let the Social Strategy Club be your secret competitive advantage.CLICK TO LEARN MORE
- Sharing—you can edit the settings for any uploaded presentation to make it available publicly or privately per your project’s objectives.
- Embedding—code is provided, which makes it very simple to embed your SlideShare assets on your website and blog. Users can also embed your work, which often exponentially expands the exposure of your presentations.
- Video and audio—you can embed YouTube videos in your presentations or “slidecast,” meaning you can sync an MP3 soundtrack. Upload wizards are provided in your My Uploads menu.
- Social sharing—it’s easy to share content or promote the sharing of your content on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest. In fact, a LinkedIn app allows you to have your SlideShare content fed to your LinkedIn profile page. You might consider targeting a specific social medium because the SlideShare home page features documents that are hot on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Go “pro”—a trio of paid Pro plans are specifically designed to enable you to include customizable lead capture forms, create company branded channels, and collect detailed analytics including performance metrics, user identities and interaction details.
- Following—you can follow other users, mark presentations as a favorite, email content and comment. So, like other social media, you are offered tools to build a community, interact and recognize others.
- SEO—the content of your slides is automatically made into transcripts, which accompany your presentations. When you understand and smartly apply keywords, your SlideShare material can do very well on search engines. (By recent measures, SlideShare amassed 3 billion slide views per month.)
#3: Make Lead Generation Your Objective
Remember, SlideShare may get filed under “social media,” but you’re taking it seriously because its users are serious about research and discovery.
Get Expert Social Media Marketing Training from the Pros
Want to get ahead of the competition or learn how to diversify your strategy?
Learn from dozens of the industry's most trusted experts, rub elbows with other smart marketers, and take your marketing to the next level during this 3-day event in sunny San Diego, CA.CLICK TO LEARN MORE
Remind yourself of this while creating content for SlideShare and be deliberate about generating leads. Consider these additional tips for generating leads:
- Repurpose with purpose—if you’ve been active in content marketing and social media and have a strong grasp of what works for your business and its objectives, reuse and repurpose your most engaging content for the SlideShare site.
- Examples and testimonials—don’t forget opportunities to deliver proof of concept. That is, highlight real-world success stories and feature testimonials in a fair and objective way when you can.
- Leverage authority—if you’re on a mission to establish authority, draw from the ideas of thought leaders. Cite their work. Endorse their ideas and they might just return the favor.
- Share—SlideShare is a social medium. Follow the content creators you admire and share their work.
- Provide contact information and links—your presentations can include links throughout to generate traffic to your site, media outlets and landing pages. At the end of your presentation, provide the relevant contact information and make it easy to continue the conversation.
- Call to action—if a viewer has made it to your final slide, he or she is interested in what you have to say and is likely to have questions, want more information or want to do business. Don’t be coy. Provide the call to action you seek.
Marketers are increasingly folding SlideShare into their content marketing strategy because the website has proven effective for building brands and generating leads.
Apply the tips provided here to create a compelling presentation, take full advantage of SlideShare’s rich features and generate leads for your business.
What do you think? Are you using SlideShare? Are you generating leads? Leave your ideas, questions and comments in the box below.
Experience The World's Largest Social Media Conference
Quality marketing training, actionable takeaways, and beneficial connections—that's just a fraction of what you can expect at Social Media Marketing World! Join thousands of smart marketers in sunny San Diego this spring and level up your marketing.
🔥 Sale ends Tuesday! 🔥