said 1 year, 5 months ago:
Here’s the deal, you need meetings, perhaps frequently, but you need them to be energetic, useful and in the words of consultant Al Pittampalli – modern.
In Read This Before Our Next Meeting, Pittampalli [The Domino Project (August 3, 2011)ISBN-10: 1936719169] lists the seven attributes of what he calls the modern meeting and this is a great framework for how to think about meetings that generate commitment.
1. The Modern Meeting supports a decision that has already been made.
2. The Modern Meeting starts on time, moves fast, and ends on schedule.
3. The Modern Meeting limits the number of attendees.
4. The Modern Meeting rejects the unprepared.
5. The Modern Meeting produces committed action plans.
6. The Modern Meeting refuses to be informational. Reading memos is mandatory.
7. The Modern Meeting works only alongside a culture of brainstorming.