said 1 year, 5 months ago:
I bet you know the best way to engage with your fans is by posting status updates, which appear in each fan’s news feed (on their Facebook homepage). But did you know optimizing your visibility within your fans news feed involves more than just posting status updates?
Your fan’s news feed shows all status updates, photos and conversations from their friends and pages they’ve liked. To determine which posts are more important (and thus should be located at the top, for everyone to see) Facebook developed an algorithm called Edgerank. The Edgerank is calculated with three variables: the popularity of the update (based on how many clicks, likes and comments the status gets), the relevance of your fan page to the fan (based on how interactive your fans have been with past statuses) and recency (how recently your status was posted). The higher the Edgerank score, the higher your post appears on your fan’s news feed, which means maximum visibility.
As you can see the key is to get likes and comments to your updates. Trust me, that’s not going to happen when you’re simply promoting your products. Every time you post a comment, you should ask yourself “are fans going to engage with this post by commenting or liking it?”.
I know it can be quite hard to come up with creative ideas for your updates, which is why I came up with the list below to give you some ideas that WILL work. Don’t use them as-is, you should modify them to make sure they fit into your niche. There’s no point asking about the whether when you’re selling cat food, for example.
1. Questions: Ask simple questions, such as “What’s your favorite holiday destination, and why?”.
2. Fill-in-the-blanks posts: Updates that you write that requires people to fill in the blanks to complete a sentence, such as “(Fill in the blanks) _______ is my favorite BMW”.
3. Post photos and ask something about it, such as “Where do you think this picture is taken?”
4. Post a video and ask about a specific moment in it, such as “What do you think that guy is doing at 1:43?”
5. Talk about the news: Select something that’s currently getting a lot of conversation, and invite discussion on your page.
6. Ask for likes: Simply post updates such as “Like this if you can’t wait for the weekend to begin!”
7. Caption contests: Post a funny photo and ask fans to give a title. You can even give away something to the comment with the most likes (don’t forget to announce the winner).
8. Ask hypothetical questions, such as “One-way flight anywhere you choose. Money’s not an issue. Where do you go?”
You see what I mean? Try these kind of status updates out on your fan page, and you’ll see you’ll get comments and likes (which increases your Edgerank and thus your visibility).